HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
grubby
Role Model
Role Model
avatar

Posts : 237
Join date : 2008-06-27
Age : 109
Location : GA

PostSubject: Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer   Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:06 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Task
President
President
avatar

Posts : 210
Join date : 2008-05-24
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer   Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks grubby. I hope this is fire!!

Those three (Chaos, Daniel & Phraze) act like there ain't no females out there spittin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.allhiphopreview.com/
grubby
Role Model
Role Model
avatar

Posts : 237
Join date : 2008-06-27
Age : 109
Location : GA

PostSubject: Re: Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer   Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:14 am

Task wrote:
Thanks grubby. I hope this is fire!!

Those three (Chaos, Daniel & Phraze) act like there ain't no females out there spittin'.

I only listened to it once or twice so if you think it's whack it ain't on me... I'm going to give it another spin when I get back to work tomorrow.

I don't recall it being bad but like most modern day female rappers' albums there is nothing memorable! Nothing to wow you.

When you guys do you podcast I hope you talk about what it would take for a female rapper to be above the fold. We probably all agree that the benchmark for this modern day skillful female rapper is Jean Grae. But even when I listen to her I'm not wowed!! She is doing all the right things. Not sounding like a dude, not talking about sexing some dude up, rippin the mic, no bubble gum and candy shit. But even with all of that I still have a hard time getting excited about her. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it. What's it going to take? Sex doesn't work. Some broad sounding like a dude literally and figuratively doesn't work. Girls talking about what they do and how they do doesn't do anything for the male hip hop head.

No other type of music really has this problem. It is pretty sad when you think about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Task
President
President
avatar

Posts : 210
Join date : 2008-05-24
Age : 43

PostSubject: Re: Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer   Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:51 pm

grubby wrote:

When you guys do you podcast I hope you talk about what it would take for a female rapper to be above the fold. We probably all agree that the benchmark for this modern day skillful female rapper is Jean Grae. But even when I listen to her I'm not wowed!! She is doing all the right things. Not sounding like a dude, not talking about sexing some dude up, rippin the mic, no bubble gum and candy shit. But even with all of that I still have a hard time getting excited about her. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it. What's it going to take? Sex doesn't work. Some broad sounding like a dude literally and figuratively doesn't work. Girls talking about what they do and how they do doesn't do anything for the male hip hop head.

No other type of music really has this problem. It is pretty sad when you think about it.

Once again, I agree with everthing you said grubby.

I think for a female to 'wow' me today,she would need to posses two of these three unique eMCee traits:

1) Easily rhyme a word more than two or three times.
Think AZ, Kool G. Rap...those guys rhyme one word a whole verse sometimes effortlessly. Here is PART of an AZ verse where my dog rhyme 'Nemo' over a dozen times:

I do me for a G Note, niece, she's yellin Nemo
Mama bear, she there, losin hair cause of the chemo
Every door buzz, little cause see at the peek hole
Swearin he holdin heavy, hidin out from the RICO
Coke sold by Chico
out the corner bodega. Him n Bobbito...
la familia now finito!
It's deep tho,
its like my soul was stole by the repo
Resold to Carlito, and retold on Tivo
Ice cold wit a ego, dice rolled and somebody's Deebo'd
Trios expose dikes on the D' Low
It's love wit my amigos, other niggaz they freeload
Yeah he hold,
but my homeys only unload torpedoes
So please yo, I'm from the killa cap of the kilos

2) Able to make me laugh.
Think Reggie Noble, Ludacris or Mashall Mathers. They're first line in a verse can be funny as hell.

3) Conceptual genius.
Think K-Rino, Nas or Louis Logic.

Seems like female rappers never have conceptual songs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.allhiphopreview.com/
spykey
Goon
Goon


Posts : 13
Join date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer   Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Purchase Jean Grae's "The Bootleg of the Bootleg EP" $5.94 on itunes. SHE posesses two of the three!! I'm wowed by her.

If you think about it, the MC's that we like are not all spitters. Some have carisma (Jay-Z and AZ ), some have a unique style (Busta, and ODB) some are just crazy (Kool Keith and MF Doom) and some have lyrics (Nas and Talib). It is rare for any MC to have more that one of these characteristics. We can't hold these women to a higher standard.

Besides, what producer gives any woman MC his best beats?

I've been following hip-hop for a long time. I've seen Roxanne Shante, MC Lyte, Bahamadia and countless femle MC's others in concert. Until recently I though best female MC was between Rocanne Shante and MC Lyte, but I was wrong.
Jean Grae best female MC ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grubby
Role Model
Role Model
avatar

Posts : 237
Join date : 2008-06-27
Age : 109
Location : GA

PostSubject: Re: Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer   Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:22 pm

spykey wrote:
If you think about it, the MC's that we like are not all spitters. Some have carisma (Jay-Z and AZ ), some have a unique style (Busta, and ODB) some are just crazy (Kool Keith and MF Doom) and some have lyrics (Nas and Talib). It is rare for any MC to have more that one of these characteristics. We can't hold these women to a higher standard.

That is a pretty good point spykey... But I think most times your fav MC or my fav MC will be able to exhibit at least two characteristics. And I think the beat thing is pretty important. At least it is to me. I can appreciate a song with lack luster verses and a fire track just a little more than a song with a lackluster track and fire verses. That doesn't mean every track I hear has to be the ish but it does have to hold my attention.

Man it's got to be tough for a female MC in a male dominated sport. They have to be aggressive enough to mix it up with the big boys but yet I think a majority of the fans (who just happen to be male) probably don't really care for an aggressive woman. Sounds like a rock and a hard place to me!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer   

Back to top Go down
 
Psalm One - The Death of Frequent Flyer
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Why i despise death metal
» Discern - Christian Death Metal
» Death Cult's Tales Of Terror
» Dogs of Pray - Death Will Have To Wait
» Mocking Death

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Hip-Hop Review Forum :: The fEMCee-
Jump to: